You know - lately, while I have made so much progress (reducing my antibodies by 80%), I have started to feel a bit sluggish. Brain fog, lack of motivation and generally just wanting to sit on the couch and do nothing. At times I sit at my desk and I pray for my brain to just work better. Why can’t I concentrate longer? Why can’t I think about complex issues with ease? I have followed my diet so closely. I have had only two cheats: Almond Flour Scones (with 2 tsp of honey) and handful of potato chips. Doesn’t seem like enough to make me feel crappy. It has felt like two steps forward, one step back. 9 months of no wheat, dairy, sugar, fruit, starches, grains, dairy, alcohol and working out 3 to 4 days a week. Seriously??
So - here I go again. Patience, Love, Detective work. What is happening? What adjustments can I make? Should I make?
My sister sent me an article with new information. There are gluten-free foods that cross react with Gluten (meaning they have the same effects/symptoms on your body as eating Gluten would). How about that? Some new information that I needed right now. Thank you universe! Maybe with my 9 month elimination diet, my body has become more sensitive so I have some foods that are reacting differently in my body? All of this time, have I been eating foods that exactly mimic gluten?
Just to recap from my previous posts a few theories that I now fully embrace/advocate:
1. you will not heal your gut/immune system by eating a gluten-free diet alone (I call it faux gluten)
2. if you have hashimotos, you must eat gluten/grain/sugar/starch/dairy/alcohol free (to heal your gut which for the most part your immune system to reduce inflammation - which caused the immune system to attack the Thyroid in the first place
3. there is a high correlation between hashiomotos & celiacs (due to the leaky gut syndrome and what the Standard American Diet does to your body)
4. If you eat foods that have the same effect as Gluten (as a hashimoto sufferer) the immune system will continue to attack the Thyroid
5. I believe you can heal autoimmune diseases completely if you eliminate enough to HEAL THE GUT
So what are the foods that cross react with Gluten?
- Cow dairy (50% of those who are gluten intolerant are sensitive to dairy)
- American cheese
- Milk chocolate
- Polish wheat
- Coffee (has the highest rate of cross reaction with gluten - from this list!!)
- Eggs (while not on the original source, I found it on another site and added it)
What do I eat every single day from that list? Eggs & Coffee. I LOVE my morning cup of coffee. LOVE LOVE LOVE - dream about it the night before. It’s my only vice! And if I replace eggs - I am not sure what to eat for breakfast. Double ugg!
So - what do you do? I have an appointment with my Dr. tomorrow and we are going to discuss. I know I don’t feel that great right now, so something is off. I might request the Gluten Associated Sensitivity and Cross Reactive Food Test (Cyrex Labs Array #4) or I may look into GlutenFlam Digestive Enzymes by Apex Energetics.
I will let you know how it goes!